Female Leadership Community at Ocean Academy in Caye Caulker, Belize


The Ocean Academy Female Leadership community (FLC) is an elective enrichment program that empowers young women to strengthen their leadership skills, while experiencing growth and identity development through the power of sharing, teamwork, and earned success.

Encourage them in becoming a strong, fierce, and empowered woman! A leader for their community! Working with other young women to create a unique community entirely dedicated to their needs.

The FLC is conducted around 3 units: ignite, educate and agitate.

Ignite: Create community through safe space creation, sharing of stories, empowerment rituals, and sistahood.

Educate: Empower young peoples’ minds through the exploration of the unique issues affecting young women today through reading, researching, and journaling.

Agitate: Become empowered leaders through the development of a community-based action project that will ignite and educate other youth and/or the larger community, and share the values of the FLC community.

15.6.13

Trust

 The Female Leadership Community (FLC) of Ocean Academy High school concluded a workshop about Dreams & Goals, Abundance and Intuition with the ultimate challenge:
To TRUST – in our ourselves by doing something we had never done before.

After we completed our TRUST challenge I asked:

Do you trust your own self when exploring something new?

  • at first I tend to say negative things because I’m afraid – but within minutes I regret saying it and I’ll it a try
  • I trust myself a little bit, but I have to think hard before I can do it
  • I don’t really trust myself … which makes me turn away from challenging things
  • I want to. I often find myself exploring new things, even if I don’t trust myself completely

How did you like Stand Up Paddle boarding?

  • I like SUP, because it made me face a challenge
  • I’m not sure if I liked it
  • I really like SUP, it was something I had never done in my life and I would love to try it again someday
  • I really liked it, it’s fun, it’s something new that interests me – by the way you have to put yourself to balance on the board.
Contour Ocean Ventures  (owners Henry & Stefanie Lopez )  made this possible with their sponsorship for an afternoon of Stand-Up Paddle boarding, including a boat trip to our starting location, cold water and of course all the equipment to SUP.

Thank you so much!